When should I contact the Ombuds?

  • When you have a university-related problem and need assistance.
  • When you need clarification about a WSU policy or procedure.
  • If you feel you have been unfairly treated and need to know your options.
  • If you have a specific problem which may not be resolved by regular university procedures.


How Can the Ombuds Help?

  • Listen and provide a neutral resource.
  • Explain WSU policies and procedures.
  • Provide help to clarify issues and provide referral when appropriate.
  • Analyze the issue and provide options to resolve complaints.
  • Prevent an issue from escalating into a major problem when possible.
  • Recommend changes in policy when appropriate.
  • Assist the university in the development, implementation, and application of policies and procedures.

Types of Complaints

  • Academic (grading disputes, exam scheduling, course-related issues, etc.)
  • Non-academic (university housing, resident life issues, financial aid, etc.)
  • Employment (hiring, dismissal, evaluations, benefits, etc.)
  • Administration (delay in service/decisions, access to facilities, clarification of rights and policies, etc.)


When Does an Ombuds NOT Get Involved?

  • The Ombuds does not act as an advocate or represent an individual in adjudicatory disputes, including those related to sexual harassment, discrimination, Americans with Disabilities Act, OSHA regulations, or collective bargaining agreements.
  • If a complaint or concern is non-university related.
  • The Ombuds will not waive rules, laws, or regulations, or require an appointing authority to change a decision, modify a policy, or modify a negotiated contract provision.